The cultural hub of the country, Galway is arguably the heart of the arts and music scene in Ireland. During the summer months there’s a festival to suit everyone and with international events such as the Galway Races and Galway Fringe Festival, it’s not to be missed!
Some festivals to look forward to:
- St Patrick’s Day Festival, 17th March
- Galway Food Festival, Easter weekend
- Bealtaine Festival, May
- Galway Races, last week in July
- Galway International Arts Festival, mid July
- Clarinbridge Oyster Festival, September
- Comedy Carnival, late October
- Jazz Festival, October
- Continental Christmas Market, November – December
The nightlife in Galway is second to none any time of year with bars and restaurants lining the cobbled streets of the city centre. Live music venues are hard to miss in the city too with Irish and international acts paying regular visits to the City of the Tribes.
If shopping is your thing, look no further as there are all the usual high street favourites as well as quirky boutiques and unique market stalls selling handmade art and crafts. While you’re in the city, make sure to catch the Galway Tourist Train, it’s the best way to see all the sights and it’s a big hit with the kids too!